Re: Should core decide the name?

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Dawid Kuroczko <qnex42(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Ron Peterson <ron(dot)peterson(at)yellowbank(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Should core decide the name?
Date: 2007-08-31 01:43:33
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Dawid Kuroczko wrote:
> On 8/31/07, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> > Dawid Kuroczko wrote:
> > > Personally I feel that it goes without saying. They [the core] do most
> > > of the work, and they do excellent work, so I feel confident that whatever
> > > they choose will be for the best. They should be the ones to decide
> > > such important matters -- it is their blood and sweat in the source code. :)
> > >
> > > I don't want to say that community has no voice in it -- it has, and it
> > > is important, just as the community is important for our favourite RDBMS,
> > > but I would hate to usurp power over Core. :)
> >
> > Uh, really the community puts in as much work or more than the core
> > people. The idea that core is doing most of the work is something I
> > hope is never true. Core are just figureheads when leadership is needed
> > in non-technical cases. Of course, this naming thing might be such a
> > case (break ties).
>
> Perhaps I wrote it from wrong angle. I feel that the more people do
> to help the project, the more vote they should have in matters like
> this. In other words I feel that I should have much less vote than
> you do -- exactly because so far you did a lot of work and I have not.
>
> It should not stop me from voicing my opinions (and it does not ;)),
> but it should not in my power to have a deciding vote.

Typically at this stage everyone gives arguments about why their option
is best, and then either we align with a general agreement (unlikely),
or we take a vote or core weighs in and hopefull that leads to general
agreement.

However, looking at the core members who have already voted publicly
here, I don't think they have a unified voice either.