Re: Features list

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Features list
Date: 2007-08-10 17:32:22
Lists: pgsql-www

On Friday 10 August 2007 07:47, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 10, 2007 at 12:22:40PM +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> > I was reading the recent Slashdot thread on MySQL earlier and once again
> > saw a number of people saying they would use PostgreSQL except for the
> > lack of replication. This seems to me to be the widespread FUD about
> > postgres these days.

Do you really think people dont know postgresql has replication? I find it
more that the general use of the term replication implies a built in
solution, which we do not have.

> > It seems to us (me and the guys in the office here) that there is
> > nowhere on the front page of the website to see why we're the world's
> > most advanced open source DB - in fact, you have to dive in to the About
> > section and then find a bullet pointed list of features at the bottom of
> > the Advantages page.
> >
> > In addition, the About page is very wordy, and describes a few features
> > (including GiST - no mention of GIN), whilst the Advantages page has a
> > more comprehensive list of features, but is mainly concerned with
> > non-technical 'market speak' reasons to use postgres.

<snip>
> > - Option 2 - Add a new horizontal panel under the announcement panel,
> > and above the featured user, containing a 'How can PostgreSQL help me'
> > link (or some other similar text), linking to a page bullet pointing the
> > technical reasons, including the replication info.
>
> This I like more. THe page itself would go under /about, I assume?

Do we really need a third page? You'd think that somewhere between the about
page and the advantages pages, we'd have room to fit in the word replication
in somewhere. Or since you were thinking a new page, why not write up a new
about page? Surely the current one could use updating.

--
Robert Treat