Re: Limiting number of rows returned at a time in select query

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Limiting number of rows returned at a time in select query
Date: 2007-05-28 21:13:30
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, May 24, 2007 at 05:32:25AM -0700, Jon Clements wrote:
> have a .NET driver that has a FetchSize option which allows the above
> (say returning 10k rows at a time without holding them all in memory);
> I'm not sure though if that's a property of the driver / server, as
> none of the other interfaces I have seem to include it. It just makes

I expect it's the driver doing cursor work for you without you
needing to make it happen explicitly. I think some interations of
the JDBC driver do something similar, but I can't recall for certain
(and I'm not looking at the docs right now). Anyway, if it _is_
doing a cursor for you behind the scenes, that's almost certainly
what you want.

"The year's penultimate month" is not in truth a good way of saying
November.
--H.W. Fowler