Re: Hacking on PostgreSQL via GIT

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Martin Langhoff <martin(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz>, Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>, "Florian G(dot) Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hacking on PostgreSQL via GIT
Date: 2007-04-18 12:55:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Martin Langhoff <martin(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz> writes:
> > Aidan Van Dyk wrote:
> >> And remember the warning I gave that my conversion is *not* a direct CVS
> >> import - I intentionally *unexpand* all Keywords before stuffing them
> >> into GIT so that merging and branching can ignore all the Keyword
> >> conflicts...
>
> > My import is unexpanding those as well to support rebasing and merging
> > better.
>
> Um ... why do either of you feel there's an issue there?
>
> We switched over to $PostgreSQL$ a few years ago specifically to avoid
> creating merge problems for downstream repositories. If there are any
> other keyword expansions left in the source text I'd vote to remove
> them. If you have a problem with $PostgreSQL$, why?

One weird thing I noticed some time ago is that we have an $Id$ (or was
it $Header$? I don't remember) somewhere, which was supposed to be from
the upstream repo where we got the file from, but it was being expanded
to our local version to the file. We _also_ have the $PostgreSQL$ tag
in there which carries the same info.