Re: Auto creation of Partitions

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: NikhilS <nikkhils(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Auto creation of Partitions
Date: 2007-03-06 18:35:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

NikhilS wrote:
> We will not (I know its a hard thing to do :) ), the intention is to
> use this information from the parent and make it a property of the
> child table. This will avoid the step for the user having to manually
> specify CREATE INDEX and the likes on all the children tables
> one-by-one.

But when I say

CREATE TABLE ( a int PRIMARY KEY, ... ) PARTITION blah ...

then I expect that the primary key will be enforced across all
partitions. We currently sidestep that issue by not offering seemingly
transparent partitioning. But if you are planning to offer that, the
unique index issue needs to be solved, and I see nothing in your plan
about that.

--
Peter Eisentraut