Re: PostgreSQL - 'SKYLINE OF' clause added!

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL - 'SKYLINE OF' clause added!
Date: 2007-03-06 18:43:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom,

> I'm also kind of wondering if the main use-cases couldn't be met with
> suitable multi-input custom aggregates, which is something we already
> have as of 8.2.

Actually, given that "skyline of" is *only* for aggregate sorting (as far as I
can tell) it doesn't present the complications which QBE did for using a
function interface.

Ranbeer, would it be possible to use an aggregate function syntax instead of
the SKYLINE OF syntax extension? This allows us to sidestep the issue of
non-standard additions to the reserved word list.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun