Re: SCMS question

From: mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Markus Schiltknecht <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Warren Turkal <wt(at)penguintechs(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SCMS question
Date: 2007-02-27 03:10:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 02:57:03PM -0500, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> Robert Treat wrote:
> >FWIW ClearCase also offers a command line version of its merge tool, where
> >it shows three columns (a la diff --side-by-side) and allows you to pick
> >which column you want to merge in (repo, change1, or change2 for example).
> >It's a nice attempt at doing it on the command line, but the graphical
> >version is so much better it's worth it to work out remote X and use that
> >instead :-)
> If ClearCase is held up as a model SCM system the God help us.
> True story: a few years back I had a team that where some of them had
> been using ClearCase, and when they joined our team switched to CVS. A
> few months later the company made a company-wide decision to standardise
> on ClearCase. Within weeks I had them begging and pleading with me to be
> allowed to go back to CVS.

This shouldn't be a religious discussion - but I can't let the above go.
Anybody who prefers CVS over ClearCase for any reasons *other* than
financial reasons - doesn't understand SCM.

CVS is pretty close to the bottom for me - below it is SCCS/RCS.

Cheers,
mark

--
mark(at)mielke(dot)cc / markm(at)ncf(dot)ca / markm(at)nortel(dot)com __________________________
. . _ ._ . . .__ . . ._. .__ . . . .__ | Neighbourhood Coder

and in the darkness bind them...

http://mark.mielke.cc/