Re: SCMS question

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Markus Schiltknecht <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>, mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Warren Turkal <wt(at)penguintechs(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SCMS question
Date: 2007-02-26 19:36:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Monday 26 February 2007 10:04, Markus Schiltknecht wrote:
> Hi,
>
> mark(at)mark(dot)mielke(dot)cc wrote:
> > I'll have to try kdiff3 - but the "merge" command, although it often
> > works, I strongly dislike when it marks up the lines as "there was a
> > conflict here" and gives you three files in the directory to choose to
> > start from. This is far too manual, which invites mistakes.
>
> Agreed that this is somewhat annoying, but hey, it's a command line
> tool. How else would you solve displaying conflicts?
>
> > If kdiff3 is more like the ClearCase
> > graphical merge utility, I would far prefer that. Can you say "I want
> > change 2 followed by change 3" with checkboxes, a live final version to
> > view, and the ability to manually type or adjust lines in the final
> > version to view?
>
> Yup. That's possible. And much much more... ;-) (I don't know the
> ClearCase tool, so I can't really offer a comparison, sorry.)

FWIW ClearCase also offers a command line version of its merge tool, where it
shows three columns (a la diff --side-by-side) and allows you to pick which
column you want to merge in (repo, change1, or change2 for example). It's a
nice attempt at doing it on the command line, but the graphical version is so
much better it's worth it to work out remote X and use that instead :-)

--
Robert Treat