Re: SCMS question

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Warren Turkal <wt(at)penguintechs(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SCMS question
Date: 2007-02-23 22:42:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:

> My typical cycle is to take the patch, apply it to my tree, then cvs
> diff and look at the diff, adjust the source, and rerun until I like the
> diff and apply. How do I do that with this setup?

The same, except that you don't need to take the patch out of an email
and into the repository -- the new code is already in the repository,
sitting in someone's own branch. You can commit into that branch all
the adjustments you want; and when you consider it ready, the only thing
you have to do is "propagate" the change to the main development branch.

Yes, it's nice. Consider this: Andrew develops some changes to PL/perl
in his branch. Neil doesn't like something in those changes, so he
commits a fix there. In the meantime, Tom has been busy with his own
stuff and committing to the main branch; Andrew can track those changes
by propagating from the main branch to his branch -- he doesn't need to
fall behind and update his modified tree once a month and deal with
umpteen conflicts.

Of course, you can _also_ do the patch by email and correct stuff if you
want. It's just not the best way to do it.