Re: Benchmarking PGSQL?

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "Krishna Kumar" <kumar(dot)ramanathan(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Benchmarking PGSQL?
Date: 2007-02-14 23:42:55
Lists: pgsql-performance

Krisna,

> I'm a performance engineer, quite interested in getting deep into the
> PGSQL performance enhancement effort. In that regard, I have the
> following questions :
> 1. Is there a benchmarking setup, that I can access online?
> 2. What benchmarks are we running , for performance numbers?
> 3. What are the current issues, related to performance?
> 4. Where can I start, with the PGSQL performance effort?

Hey, I work for Sun and we've been working on PostgreSQL & benchmarks.
Hopefully we will soon have a server which runs Spec benchmarks which the
community can legally use for testing (it's waiting on some setup issues).

Help we could use right now includes work on an open source TPCE-like
workload, being run by Rilson and Mark Wong. Another issue which could
use help is reducing our WAL transaction log volume; it's higher than any
other database. Or you could work on multi-processor scalability; we are
still trying to identify the bottlenecks which are holding us back there.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun