Re: pg_get_serial_sequence is inconsistent

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Frank Millman <frank(at)chagford(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_get_serial_sequence is inconsistent
Date: 2007-02-14 04:32:17
Lists: pgsql-general

FYI, we have at least documented this behavior in 8.2.X:

<function>pg_get_serial_sequence</function> returns the name of the
sequence associated with a column, or NULL if no sequence is associated
with the column. The first input parameter is a table name with
optional schema, and the second parameter is a column name. Because
the first parameter is potentially a schema and table, it is not treated
as a double-quoted identifier, meaning it is lowercased by default,
while the second parameter, being just a column name, is treated as
double-quoted and has its case preserved. The function returns a value