BUG #2969: Inaccuracies in Solaris FAQ

From: "Rich Teer" <rich(dot)teer(at)rite-group(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #2969: Inaccuracies in Solaris FAQ
Date: 2007-02-05 19:16:35
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-patches

Bug reference: 2969
Logged by: Rich Teer
Email address: rich(dot)teer(at)rite-group(dot)com
PostgreSQL version: 8.2.2
Operating system: Solaris 10
Details:

Hi there,

First, many thanks for providing the best open source database! I've
spotted a couple of errors/bits of bad advice in doc/FAQ_Solaris, which I
think should be updated.

1. The answer to question 3 (Why does configure complain about a failed test
program?) says to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to the directory containing
the missing libs. While this does work (as does the other suggestion of
using LD_RUN_PATH), the correct answer to this question is to include the
library's path in the executable by using the -R flag, thus avoiding the
need for the end user to mess about with environment variables. For
example, I use "LDFLAGS=-R/usr/sfw/lib ./configure ..." to build Postgres
which uses Sun's OpenSSL.

2. The answer to question 8 (Can I use DTrace for tracing PostgreSQL?) says
that Solaris 10u3 or newer is required to handle probes in static functions.
Unfortunately, this is not the case. DTrace can't be enabled when using
update 3 (aka 11/06); the (as yet unreleased) update 4 or newer is
required.

Thanks for reading!

Rich Teer,
Author of Solaris Systems Programming