Re: Predicted lifespan of different PostgreSQLbranches

From: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, me(at)oisinglynn(dot)com, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Bill Moran" <wmoran(at)collaborativefusion(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Predicted lifespan of different PostgreSQLbranches
Date: 2007-01-29 22:29:54
Lists: pgsql-general

It's not a question of having the time - it's partly what I'm paid for these days. It's a question of whether that time is being wasted maintaining old versions that perhaps people aren't concerned with any more. That's why I brought the subject up on this -general thread, rather than in -hackers.

A couple of thoughts spring to mind that might warrant some consideration:

- Windows is our most popular platform for sure, but I would wager the majority of those installations are development/test installs and that possibly Linux is the most popular platform for production systems. Those dev
systems are likely to be running the latest version.

- So far I think you are the only person to object to 8.0 being dropped!

In any case, if people want to keep 8.0, then I will keep building it for the time being. We might need to start staggering point releases though.

Regards, Dave