Re: Benchmarking PostgreSQL against others on Windows?

From: <operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: bo(dot)berglund(at)telia(dot)com, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Benchmarking PostgreSQL against others on Windows?
Date: 2006-11-27 03:35:06
Lists: pgsql-novice

> I am working on the Windows platform and I have
> mainly used
> MSSQLServer 2000 for database stuff.
>
> Now I am looking at alternatives and one is
> PostgreSQL, another MySql.
> Can anyone point me towards a report from a decent
> benchmarking test
> showing the pros and cons of these servers?
> I assume someone has done it already....
> I am mostly interested in servers running on Windows
> since that is our
> main target platform.
>
> Bo Berglund

Bo, make sure the benchmarks are equal. There is a
file system or something in mysql that is optional,
but required to do transactions (perhaps other
functionality, too).

make sure pgsql is compared to that version of mysql.

you then have to decide if the time difference is
meaningful (can you tell whether an app is pgsql or
mysql by just using the app?). if it is meaningful,
is it more meaningful than what pgsql offers - a great
license and some pretty professional features.

the only downside that i've had working with
postgresql is that most tutorials are geared towards
mysql so i have to translate some tutorials and books
into pgsql.

otherwise, i'm thrilled with postgresql.