Re: postgresql books and convertion utilities

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma(at)yahoo(dot)com>, Albe Laurenz <all(at)adv(dot)magwien(dot)gv(dot)at>, Alexander Staubo *EXTERN* <alex(at)purefiction(dot)net>, Ganbold <ganbold(at)micom(dot)mng(dot)net>
Subject: Re: postgresql books and convertion utilities
Date: 2006-10-31 04:53:13
Lists: pgsql-general

On Monday 30 October 2006 07:55, Richard Broersma Jr wrote:

> > > This is a good book. As far as I know it's the most up-to-date
> > > general-purpose PostgreSQL book.
> >
> > It covers up to 8.0.
> > It's a little verbose, but I would agree that it is a decent book.
>
> I would agree with all of the above comment. I will add that it was
> missing a discussion on Postgresql's Rule system. But if you are
> interested in connecting to postgresql using one of the many Postgresql
> protocols it is a very good book to use.
>
> Here is a link that corrects some typos in the book:
>
> http://www.samspublishing.com/content/images/0672327562/Errata/0672327562er
>rata.pdf

FWIW there is a chapter with fairly advanced examples of using views and rules
in "Beginning PHP and PostgreSQL 8: From Novice to Professional". Also that
book lightly touches on some 8.1 topics... 8.1 was in development at the
time of the writing, so some things are mentioned, but a lot of 8.1 didn't
really apply to PHP programmers. For example, I mention tuning
max_prepared_transactions, but the recommendation is simply to set it to 0,
since there is almost no chance you'll be using it in PHP so there is no
reason to use resources on it.

--
Robert Treat