Re: (offtopic) ISO certificates

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: (offtopic) ISO certificates
Date: 2006-09-26 14:19:54
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Tue, Sep 26, 2006 at 10:04:36AM +0300, Adrian Maier wrote:
> I am tempted to answer that we are not ISO certified. And to explain
> that we will
> probably never have such a certificate because in an opensource
> project it is not
> possible to force everyone to work according to some strict procedures .
>
> Is this correct ?

It's sort of worse. The ISO 900x certifications have to do with
certifying an organisation that is legally responsible for some
resulting product or service.

There _is_ no such organisation for PostgreSQL, at least in the sense
needed for this sort of certification.

If someone wanted to use PostgreSQL under an ISO 9000 regime, what
they could do is set up a company that did the certification of the
acceptance of the code, the packaging of the code, and the delivery
of the code. Indeed, it's entirely possible that one of the support
companies actually does this.

The fact that technology doesn't work is no bar to success in the marketplace.
--Philip Greenspun