Re: log_duration is redundant, no?

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Guillaume Smet <guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: log_duration is redundant, no?
Date: 2006-09-09 20:45:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Sep 09, 2006 at 06:33:10PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > > #2, I think, but I am confused if you don't know the query, how
> > > valuable is the log_duration.
> >
> > Statistics?
>
> I doubt that there is a statistical merit to calculating aggregate
> values over the duration of an anonymous set of queries.

Eh? Sure there is, if you want totals per database, number of queries
and where they were spread over the day. A perfectly reasonable example
was given in this thread.

If you're a service provider you don't care about what queries the
users are doing, just how many resources they're taking.

Have a nice day,