Re: 8.2 features status

From: Kenneth Marshall <ktm(at)it(dot)is(dot)rice(dot)edu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Guillaume Smet <guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com>, Luke Lonergan <llonergan(at)greenplum(dot)com>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.2 features status
Date: 2006-08-04 16:57:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Aug 04, 2006 at 12:40:36PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Guillaume Smet" <guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > And what about compression of on-disk sorting?
>
> That's purely a performance issue, which some people seem to want
> to define as "not a new feature" ... which is not *my* view of
> what's important ...
>
> regards, tom lane
>
>From my point of view, some of these new performance features are
the most important changes in the 8.2 release. We are using other
databases currently because of performance problems that are going
to be addressed in this release. If we can use PostgreSQL instead,
their are new possibilities for reliability and robustness that
our current database choice will not allow.

Ken