Re: 8.2 features status

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>
Subject: Re: 8.2 features status
Date: 2006-08-04 13:04:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Friday 04 August 2006 02:20, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Seriously, PostgreSQL has the fastest release cycle of any RDBMS project in
> the world. The request I'm hearing from large production users is to
> release *less* often. So I don't find it a problem that this release has
> less "checklist" features than the last two did, and I don't think anyone
> else will.

Yes... one idea I have seen floated is that every other release should work
within the constraints of not requireing dump/reload, so that the really
nasty upgrade cycles could be spread out 2 years apart, but people could get
new features / imporvements each year if they wanted to. It sounds like a
good idea in theory, but would take some real world wrangling to achieve it.

--
Robert Treat