Re: 8.2 features status

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>
Subject: Re: 8.2 features status
Date: 2006-08-04 06:20:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

All,

<grin> Aren't I, the marketing geek, supposed to be the one whining about
this?

Seriously, PostgreSQL has the fastest release cycle of any RDBMS project in
the world. The request I'm hearing from large production users is to release
*less* often. So I don't find it a problem that this release has less
"checklist" features than the last two did, and I don't think anyone else
will.

If all the pending features die then I might find it a stretch to write the
press release, but otherwise, no problem. And since when were we a
marketing-driven project anyway?

> * In-place upgrades (pg_upgrade)

BTW, I may get Sun to contribute an engineer for this; will get you posted.

Oh, and if it makes it, Tzadhi's FULL DISJUNCTIONS patch is newsworthy.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun