Re: scaling up postgres

From: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
To: PFC <lists(at)peufeu(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: scaling up postgres
Date: 2006-06-13 21:21:24
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 10:14:44PM +0200, PFC wrote:

> >Uhm... stick with commodity CPUs?
>
> Hehe, does this include Opterons ?

Absolutely. Heck, it wouldn't surprise me if a single model # of Opteron
sold more than all Power CPUs put together...

> Still, I looked on the "customize your server" link someone posted
> and it's amazing ; these things have become cheaper while I wasn't
> looking...
> You can buy 10 of these boxes with raptors and 4 opteron cores and 8
> gigs of RAM for the price of your average marketing boss's car...
> definitely makes you think doesn't it.

And if you spend that much on CPU for a database, you're likely to be
pretty sadly disappointed, depending on what you're doing.

> Juts wait until someone equates the price in man-hours to fix/run a
> borken Dell box...

Would probably sound like a Mastercard commercial...

Not having to babysit your servers every day: Priceless