Problem with 'postgres' db with 8.0 on a MacBook

From: Jonathon McKitrick <jcm(at)FreeBSD-uk(dot)eu(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Problem with 'postgres' db with 8.0 on a MacBook
Date: 2006-06-07 10:45:26
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi all,

this is my first time posting here because I've been running pgsql without
problem on a couple of Linux boxes for a while now.

I'm migrating to a new MacBook, and while I finally got it to compile, initdb,
and start a postmaster, any time I try createdb or createuser, I get a message
that the database 'postgres' cannot be found.

I installed after a manual build, chown'ed /usr/local/pgsql to postgres, added
a 'data' directory, and called initdb on it. But all calls to createdb or
createuser gave the message above.

Can anyone help?

Jonathon McKitrick
--