Re: archiver.pid

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: archiver.pid
Date: 2006-05-22 22:07:52
Lists: pgsql-patches

Simon Riggs wrote:
> Lock file to prevent starting with multiple archivers present.

Isn't it cleaner to remove the PID file in postmaster.c:reaper()? That
way you are really sure that the PID file is removed when the process is
gone, even if it crashes.

OTOH I don't think it's very clean to change the semantics of the
ArchPid variable in postmaster. We use those to keep track of the
running process, so if there's no archiver, it should be 0 (which is
true for all said variables).