Re: [OT] MySQL is bad, but THIS bad?

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [OT] MySQL is bad, but THIS bad?
Date: 2006-05-18 16:38:51
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

All,

> > >What is the best way to go about creating a "plug and play,"
> > >PostgreSQL
> > >replacement for MySQL? I think the biggest problem getting PostgreSQL
> > >accepted is that so much code is available for MySQL.
> >
> > http://pgfoundry.org/projects/mysqlcompat/
>
> Even better would be coming up with a compatability mode, a la what
> EnterpriseDB has done for Oracle.

Um, no offense, but why? Do we really *want* to seek out thousands of users
who won't pay anyone for support, don't care about data integrity, and regard
the database as an enhanced flat file? Who adore non-standard syntax like
`db_object_name` and REPLACE INTO? Who want to just get free downloads and
not contribute to a project?

Personally, I'd go after MSSQL before I bothered with MySQL. Sure, let's
make *migration* easier for those who wake up and smell the BS, but migration
can (and probably should) be one-way.

If we're talking about other OSS projects, then I think it makes more sense
for us to help those projects add PostgreSQL support. And do promote the
projects that already *do* support us.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions