Re: Sun Server Location

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Sun Server Location
Date: 2006-05-17 21:19:09
Lists: pgsql-www

Simon,

> I'm not familiar with OSL. Do you mean OSDL?

Open Source Lab, in Corvalis, Oregon. They're funded by Oregon State
University, and host quite a number of other open source projects,
including Gentoo, some Apache projects, portions of Debian, etc.
Unrelated to OSDL except through collaboration on specific projects.

> I'd be interested in hosting it with full community access via a public
> booking system, managed via policies agreed on this list. Subject to
> more detailed info, it would be at a site with people to operate it on
> behalf of users.

Yep. Mind you, I don't think that software exists for such scheduling,
but if you want to write it I won't object to using it. Warning, though;
I claim the first month after racking to work on some PostgreSQL/Solaris
bugs, and the server should run a permanent BuildFarm client.

> How much rackspace and how much power are we talking about?
> http://www.sun.com/servers/coolthreads/t2000/specifications.jsp#Environm
>ent That the right link?

Yes.

> Does it come with a StorEdge array also? The specs say it only supports
> 4 drives internally. What disks are we talking?

Four. There's some limit on the donation, and since Sun doesn't
manufacture their own disks, the machines are disk-light.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun