Re: Is PostgreSQL an easy choice for a large CMS?

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Tony Lausin <tonylausin(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is PostgreSQL an easy choice for a large CMS?
Date: 2006-05-01 12:41:16
Lists: pgsql-general

* Tony Lausin (tonylausin(at)gmail(dot)com) wrote:
> Ahh. I see the point more clearly now. Perhaps the best strategy for
> me is to press on with Postgres until the project is at a profitable
> enough stage to merit a migration to Oracle - should Postgres become
> an issue. I feel more confident about being able to migrate from
> Postgres than from MySQL. I am financing this myself. hence the
> apprehension about the cost. Is there another contender I should think
> about.

You may want to read up on MySQL's licenseing system if you havn't
already as well. It's not necessairly what you expect... Basically, if
you don't want to open source (ie: GPL-compatible) the code which uses
MySQL you might need to buy a license from them. Check their website
for a more detailed (though not necessairly any clearer) discussion of
the issues.

Thanks,

Stephen