Re: Further reduction of bufmgr lock contention

From: Gavin Hamill <gdh(at)acentral(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Further reduction of bufmgr lock contention
Date: 2006-04-21 22:09:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 17:38:01 -0400

> I believe the particular test case being looked at here is read-only
> (Gavin, is that correct?)

Yes - I made sure the devels made it readonly so I could farm search
requests out to Slony-replicated machines (ended up running live
searches for the whole site on a host hundreds of miles away :)

> Keep in mind that Gavin's 8-way turns back into a pumpkin on
> Monday :-(

Aye, it would've been gone earlier today but the rental company were
being a bit slack so pushed it back to Monday. The pickup is
already arranged so I can't stall them at this stage.

I guess I could play the 'help the greater good by lending your kit for
open source devel' card with them once they get it back to their office.

Otherwise, I've seen at least one offer of pSeries hardware on
the performance list - I'm sure I could make available a version of our
data with all sensitive stuff removed so that it could be tested on
other machines.

.. and to top it all off, I didn't even get to go to the ball - and I
doubt there'll be a glass slipper on offer...

gdh