Re: TODO item question [pg_hba.conf]

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Gevik Babakhani <pgdev(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: TODO item question [pg_hba.conf]
Date: 2006-04-21 16:26:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Gevik Babakhani wrote:
> Thank you :)
>
> > You are missing an ACL_*_CHR symbol and updating the ACL_ALL_RIGHTS_STR
> > symbol.
>
> That is why I could not see the new permission in pg_database.
> I was actually looking for that for sometime :)
>
> I have added the ACL_*_CHR 'D' Is this okay?

Hum, you literally added a symbol ACL_*_CHR? I was actually thinking in
ACL_CONNECT_CHR or something like that ...

While at it, why D? Isn't 'c' more natural? (And conveniently unused.)

> > Also, you should know that changing this requires a change in
> > CATALOG_VERSION_NO in catversion.h as well.
>
> Why is this needed? Is this a functional requirement?

To force an initdb, because you are causing a system catalog change.
Now that I think about it, maybe it's not needed, because the default
state of the system should be the same as if no privilege has changed.

OTOH you need to speficy the interpretation of the initial state of the
ACL for a database. I think it should mean that PUBLIC has the CONNECT
privilege.