Re: Any Oracle HSODBC and PostgreSQL experience out there?

From: elein <elein(at)varlena(dot)com>
To: Reece Hart <reece(at)harts(dot)net>
Cc: SF PostgreSQL <sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Any Oracle HSODBC and PostgreSQL experience out there?
Date: 2006-04-13 19:16:43
Lists: sfpug

On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 04:22:32PM -0700, Reece Hart wrote:
> sfpuggers-
>
> We're trying to make a postgresql db available within oracle using
> hsodbc and dblinks. We're using oracle 9.2.0.5 on AIX, connecting to
> postgresql 8.1.3 on x86_64-linux, using unixODBC and pgodbc (several
> versions tried).
>
> Has anyone out there made HSODBC work with PostgreSQL? If so, I'd
> appreciate a config summary and we'll keep trying.
>
> Among the issues we saw was that where clauses seem to be evaluated
> locally, not remotely. So, a query like
> SELECT * FROM schema(dot)table(at)database WHERE id=10
> fetches all rows, then applies the where clause in Oracle. That's so
> obviously unacceptable for large tables that there must be a better way,
> but I've not seen any mention of this in groups and the two folks who've
> done most of the configuration aren't aware of any alternatives. I'm
> new to ODBC, but I can't believe that this is the intended behavior.

This is also a problem with DBI-Link. Passing around the where clause
is a difficult thing to do. PostgreSQL doesn't make it available to
pass through a gateway (yet?) so I'm not surprised the ODBC has the same
issue. Disclaimer: I know nothing about HSODBC, but a have a good
general knowledge of gateways.