Any Oracle HSODBC and PostgreSQL experience out there?

From: Reece Hart <reece(at)harts(dot)net>
To: SF PostgreSQL <sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Any Oracle HSODBC and PostgreSQL experience out there?
Date: 2006-04-12 23:22:32
Lists: sfpug

sfpuggers-

We're trying to make a postgresql db available within oracle using
hsodbc and dblinks. We're using oracle 9.2.0.5 on AIX, connecting to
postgresql 8.1.3 on x86_64-linux, using unixODBC and pgodbc (several
versions tried).

Has anyone out there made HSODBC work with PostgreSQL? If so, I'd
appreciate a config summary and we'll keep trying.

Among the issues we saw was that where clauses seem to be evaluated
locally, not remotely. So, a query like
SELECT * FROM schema(dot)table(at)database WHERE id=10
fetches all rows, then applies the where clause in Oracle. That's so
obviously unacceptable for large tables that there must be a better way,
but I've not seen any mention of this in groups and the two folks who've
done most of the configuration aren't aware of any alternatives. I'm
new to ODBC, but I can't believe that this is the intended behavior.

Are we missing something?

Thanks,
Reece

--