Re: Making the "Prominent Users" section easier to reach

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: Guido Barosio <gbarosio(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Making the "Prominent Users" section easier to reach
Date: 2006-03-14 16:31:49
Lists: pgsql-www

On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 10:10:49AM +0000, Guido Barosio wrote:
> Did a smallquicksimple research:
>
> - MySQL seems to call it "Customers":
>
> http://www.mysql.com/customers/
>
> note: on the top bar, 1 click away from the home page.

PGDG doesn't really have "customers" in the sense that a unified
commercial entity like MySQL AB does. I've been making my living from
PostgreSQL almost all of this century, but most of these outfits have
never been my "customers."

> - Firebird doesn't seems to serve the page on their main site, but
> on ibphoenix under the "Firebird Users" name:
>
> http://www.ibphoenix.com/main.nfs?a=ibphoenix&s=1142330367:630751&page=ibp_users_firebird
>
> note: not on their sourceforge home page, but on the foundation
> site, not easy to access.

Has anybody heard of any of these outfits?

> - SQLite, couldn't find any information, even googling.

Not a giant surprise. SQLite is in the public domain, and their M.O.
is more stealthy. They're what I recommend when people ask about an
embedded SQL system :)

How about a prominent link on the front page that says something like,

Here are some organizations that use PostgreSQL.

I know it's wordy, but it gets the point across that this is a display
and not a help desk, blog, doc set...

Cheers,
David Fetter david(at)fetter(dot)org http://fetter.org/
phone: +1 415 235 3778