Re: German translation

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: German translation
Date: 2006-02-27 17:36:19
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Andreas Pflug wrote:
> I had a glance at what you changed, and I agree only partially.
> It's certainly horrible German style to omit the Bindestrich, I must
> admit that (thou in many cases, writing it in one word is the really
> correct style). But I'm still in favour for ß instead of ss... :-)

The Rat für deutsche Rechtschreibung was in session today, so you should
have phoned in. :-) I don't make up the rules.

> I intentionally left many english terms, as file, key, query, which I
> wouldn't count as anglicisms but simply well-known technical terms.

While that is debatable, the terms I changed were almost all used
inconsistently (which was the reason I started to work on this in the
first place -- using "Query" and "Abfrage" in two adjacent buttons
isn't good style no matter what), so that argument doesn't have much
weight anyway. That said, I will gladly refer you to German database
literature, which I regularly use as reference for translations.

--
Peter Eisentraut