Re: Krb5 & multiple DB connections

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Krb5 & multiple DB connections
Date: 2006-02-12 20:29:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

* Bruce Momjian (pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us) wrote:
> Is this something we need for 8.1.X?

Personally, I think it's a bug which should be fixed. I don't think
everyone agrees on that though and there are some parts which could be a
bit controversial. The main issue is that now the entire Kerberos
context is recreated on each connection. Now, it's really not all that
expensive generally but I can understand the preference to just reopen
the ccache when it changes. I tried to do that by just free'ing and
redo'ing the parts having to do w/ the ccache but it didn't quite pan
out right and I havn't figured out what I did wrong yet. The other
approach would be to actually track the cache name and check if it
changes. That's more difficult to do correctly across platforms though
I think.

Thanks,

Stephen