Re: PgFoundry Move

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, gforge-admins(at)pgfoundry(dot)org
Subject: Re: PgFoundry Move
Date: 2006-01-16 21:37:28
Lists: pgsql-www

On Monday 16 January 2006 15:33, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jan 2006, David Fetter wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 02:59:29PM -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> >> Not sure where this email came from, but JoshB has gone to the
> >> trouble of setting up a new server for pgFoundry, and when that is
> >> ready, it will be moved there ...
> >>
> >> Is there a problem that I haven't been informed of with the server
> >> it is currently running on?
> >
> > There are several problems, but I'll stick to the systemic one that
> > such a move can address. Right now, there is exactly one very
> > hard-working person, Sean Chittenden, who can put his hands on the
> > hardware when needed. This is a fragile situation, and it's already
> > cost months of effort because Sean can't put the pgFoundry machine's
> > welfare ahead of everything else in his life.
> >
> > Command Prompt has people on call 24/7, and Josh Drake has mentioned
> > to me that their absolute worst situation so far resulted in four
> > hours of downtime.
>
> If its a matter of time on Sean's part, can we ship the server up to
> Joshua to put onto their network?
>
> My one criteria in all of this, from day one, was that it had to be
> FreeBSD based, it has to be redundant with our current *core*
> infrastructure ... as JoshB has stated in the past, he's sunk personal
> money into the server *for* pgFoundry, so just 'ditching' that server,
> IMHO, seems to be a no-op ...

based on my interaction with the foundry admins, afaict the single thing
stopping us from getting pgfoundry onto a new server is that we're trying to
do it on bsd (reread fetters' email for a good synopisis of this). At what
point do we decide moving forward is more important than the os we are
putting it on?

--
Robert Treat