Re: Infrastructure monitoring

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "John Hansen" <john(at)geeknet(dot)com(dot)au>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Infrastructure monitoring
Date: 2006-01-14 20:17:12
Lists: pgsql-www

People:

> I assume you talk about the nagios monitoring? Or are there perhaps even
> now multiple sets of monitoring? (Dave has a nagios installation up at
> least).

For those of you who haven't seen Hyperic, think of Nagios with a fancy web UI
including notification management, scheduled tasks, historical reporting, and
specific monitioring tools for PostgreSQL databases and other common
applications. As a comparison, Nagios::Hyperic --> ed::vi or
amanda::Arkieka

The one hitch there is that all of this functionality would require that
Hyperic have a server to collect data and run the web interface -- it has
substantial resource consumption. Possibly Hyperic LLC would supply this
too, in exchange for a case study, but we'd have to ask them.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions