BUG #2165: excessive number of postgres.exe processes

From: "Matt Olson" <matto(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: BUG #2165: excessive number of postgres.exe processes
Date: 2006-01-11 02:36:36
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bug reference: 2165
Logged by: Matt Olson
Email address: matto(at)acm(dot)org
PostgreSQL version: 8.1.2
Operating system: Windows XP Professional SP2
Details:

This is something that has changed between 8.0.4 and 8.1.2. Those are the
only two installations I've made on this machine, so I can't say in which
exact release the change occurred.

When I run 8.1.2 on my Windows XP Pro box, and I let it sit for a while
(idle, with no incoming connections at all), and then go to Task Manager, I
see an excessive number of postgres.exe processes, each consuming about 60K
of memory. If I shut down the postgres service, they do not disappear (a few
of them do -- the normal postgres processes, but none of these mysterious
zombies).

Looking at the log, I see that an error occurs about every minute, saying
Cannot duplicate socket 1860 for use in backend, and giving a winsock error
code of 10038.

I saw a thread about this on pgsql-hackers:
http://groups.google.com/group/pgsql.hackers/browse_thread/thread/c44f55cdd9
6f4a96

Seems to be the same error. I *am* running some anti-virus, personal
firewall software (F-Secure Internet Security 2006). And I haven't tried
uninstalling it (that's a non-starter for me). I just wanted to report that
it does in fact work with version 8.0.4, but doesn't with 8.1.2. I don't
know if that helps or not.

Thanks,
Matt