Re: INSERT causes psql to crash

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: jao(at)geophile(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: INSERT causes psql to crash
Date: 2006-01-11 05:03:30
Lists: pgsql-bugs

jao(at)geophile(dot)com writes:
> Quoting Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>:
>> If it just started happening, I'd speculate about a corrupt executable
>> file for psql or libpq. I doubt it's got anything to do with the server
>> side.

> But this doesn't explain the data I posted previously:

That's an interesting point, but nonetheless the crash is occurring on
the psql side. Even if we presume that the server is sending bogus
data (which is at best a guess at this point), I'd argue that psql is
broken if it crashes without printing any useful message.

In any case, the next step is to get more debugging data ... please
see about that debug-enabled rebuild. If you really want to pursue
the server-bug theory first, you might try dumping the data passed
across the connection with strace or ethereal or similar tools
to see if there's any differences.