Re: INSERT causes psql to crash

From: jao(at)geophile(dot)com
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: INSERT causes psql to crash
Date: 2006-01-10 23:24:59
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Quoting Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>:

> jao(at)geophile(dot)com writes:
>> mydb=> insert into test values(11);
>> *** buffer overflow detected ***: psql terminated
>
> You seem to have a rather badly broken build there :-(. What's the
> platform exactly, and what compiler did you use? Can you rebuild
> with debug support enabled so you can get a stack trace that's
> actually useful?
>
> If it just started happening, I'd speculate about a corrupt executable
> file for psql or libpq. I doubt it's got anything to do with the server
> side.

But this doesn't explain the data I posted previously:

psql host postgres host result
--------------------------------------
X X crash
X Y OK
Y X crash
Y Y OK

Nodes X and Y are in a cluster and have the same software installed
(OS, Postgres, application).

- If the problem is with our build of psql or postgres, then I'd
expect crashes in all four cases.

- If we have a good build but a corrupt psql executable, then I'd
expect the crash to correlate with the psql host.

- If we have a corrupt postgres executable or a corrupt database then
I'd expect the crash to correlate with the postgres host, which is
what I observed. The disk checking we've done (fsck, badblocks)
indicates that the database is OK. I'm in the process of checking the
disks on X and Y with the database executables.

Jack