Re: Change in policy on News?

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Change in policy on News?
Date: 2006-01-09 20:50:59
Lists: pgsql-www

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006, Magnus Hagander wrote:

>>> I'd love this, but it would require a site design change. If you
>>> remember, we'd talked about dividing the news tickers into
>> 4 parts: News, Product
>>> Announcements, Events and Training. However, that didn't
>> work with the
>>> design for the home page.
>>
>> How much work would it be to fix up the right column on the main page?
>>
>> Initial thoughts:
>>
>> Get rid of the individual dates ... change it to something like:
>
> I think that's a really bad idea, for two reasons:
> 1) It's good to know the exact date, when you're a frequent browser

If you are a frequent browser, you would know what's changed sicne the
last time you visited ... and if you are interested in a headline, you
would click on it to read the whole thing, and get teh exact date at the
same time ...

> 2) We more or less *have* to keep up the throughput. And the list isn't
> "dynamic" enough - once the first entry goes in for february, it gets to
> live alone..

I was more thinking '6 most recent headlines', and if they overlap months,
so be it, you have:

News
Jan 2006
Dec 2006

Or do you mean we *want* to get rid of Dec News when the first one for Jan
comes along?

----