Re: Patch set under development to add usage reporting.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: jmurtari(at)thebook(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Patch set under development to add usage reporting.
Date: 2009-10-31 18:59:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On lr, 2009-10-31 at 13:37 -0400, John Murtari wrote:
>> ... We also had
>> developed the "SHOW STATISTICS" syntax for DB version that don't
>> support INFORMATION SCHEMA.

> I don't really get the point of the SHOW STATISTICS command. There is
> already a command whose purpose is to retrieve data in tabular form,
> namely SELECT.

I presume we need not worry about that, since the SQL committee are
certainly not going to standardize something that's only there for
DBs that don't support information_schema.

Actually, the idea of standardizing anything at all in this area seems
pretty bogus. The events that are interesting to measure are below the
semantic level of the standard --- for instance, how are you going to
count index searches, when the standard doesn't even recognize the
existence of indexes? Let alone things like buffer cache hits, which is
a concept that might not exist at all in some implementations. I think
we can safely assume that the proposed standardization effort will go
nowhere, and just look at whether this is interesting for Postgres.