Re: Patch set under development to add usage reporting.

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: jmurtari(at)thebook(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Patch set under development to add usage reporting.
Date: 2009-10-31 18:47:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On lör, 2009-10-31 at 13:37 -0400, John Murtari wrote:
> I had taken a look at existing statistics reporting (at
> least in the 7.4.x tree) and didn't see a good analog to what this
> provides.

The statistics collector detailed at
<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/interactive/monitoring-stats.html>
appears to do pretty much the same, although on a slightly lower level.
But that's the logical place where to add that in PostgreSQL.

> We had proposed this as a comment on an earlier version of
> the standard. From discussion with some senior committee members,
> it would appear the best fit for this type of capability might
> be in the INFORMATION SCHEMA part of the standard. We also had
> developed the "SHOW STATISTICS" syntax for DB version that don't
> support INFORMATION SCHEMA.

I don't really get the point of the SHOW STATISTICS command. There is
already a command whose purpose is to retrieve data in tabular form,
namely SELECT.