Re: Install Error

From: <operationsengineer1(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Kent Morrison <kmorrison(at)metrostudy(dot)com>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Install Error
Date: 2005-12-20 19:46:42
Lists: pgsql-novice

--- Kent Morrison <kmorrison(at)metrostudy(dot)com> wrote:

> I tried to install 8.1 to a Windows 2000 Server.
>
> I got the following message:
>
> Failed to run initdb: 1!
> Please see the logfile in "E:\Program
> Files\PostgreSQL\8.1\tmp\initdb.log
>
> The lgo file:
> The files belonging to this database system will be
> owned by user
> "postgres".
> This user must also own the server process.
>
> The database cluster will be initialized with locale
> English_United States.
>
> fixing permissions on existing directory E:/Program
> Files/PostgreSQL/8.1/data ... ok
> creating directory E:/Program
> Files/PostgreSQL/8.1/data/global ... initdb:
> could not create directory "E:/Program Files": File
> exists
> initdb: removing contents of data directory
> "E:/Program
> Files/PostgreSQL/8.1/data"
>

> Searching through the mailing list archives
> indicated is was a permissions
> problem. The postgres service account has read
> permissions on "e:\Program
> Files" and write permissions on "e:\Program
> Files\PostgreSQL" and its sub
> folders.
>
> What am I missing?
>
> This is my 4th install of PostgreSQL. I successfully
> installed 8.0.4 on a
> Windows 2000 Pro and Windows XP Pro. I was able to
> put 8.1 on a different
> server running Windows 2000 Server. All of these are
> up and running.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Kent

Kent,

another person had similar trouble that went away when
they upgraded from 8.04 to 8.1. perhaps you can
install 8.04 and then run the upgrade script to see if
that works.

i've posted a tutorial here...

http://www.geocities.com/operationsengineer1/

...but my guess is that you are likely doing
everything right and are just caught in the same
bizarre situation as another poster about 2-3 weeks
ago.

i post it on the off chance it can help.

best of luck.