Install Error

From: "Kent Morrison" <kmorrison(at)metrostudy(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Install Error
Date: 2005-12-19 22:11:29
Lists: pgsql-novice

I tried to install 8.1 to a Windows 2000 Server.

I got the following message:

Failed to run initdb: 1!
Please see the logfile in "E:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.1\tmp\initdb.log

The lgo file:
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user
"postgres".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale English_United States.

fixing permissions on existing directory E:/Program
Files/PostgreSQL/8.1/data ... ok
creating directory E:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/8.1/data/global ... initdb:
could not create directory "E:/Program Files": File exists
initdb: removing contents of data directory "E:/Program
Files/PostgreSQL/8.1/data"

Searching through the mailing list archives indicated is was a permissions
problem. The postgres service account has read permissions on "e:\Program
Files" and write permissions on "e:\Program Files\PostgreSQL" and its sub
folders.

What am I missing?

This is my 4th install of PostgreSQL. I successfully installed 8.0.4 on a
Windows 2000 Pro and Windows XP Pro. I was able to put 8.1 on a different
server running Windows 2000 Server. All of these are up and running.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kent