Re: is this a bug or I am blind?

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Mage <mage(at)mage(dot)hu>, pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: is this a bug or I am blind?
Date: 2005-12-16 18:19:17
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 01:06:58PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Ah. So we could redefine hashtext() to return the hash of the strxfrm
> value. Slow, but a lot better than giving up hash join and hash
> aggregation altogether...

Not to put too fine a point on it, but either you want locale-sensetive
sorting or you don't. If you do, you need to realise the cost
associated with it. Correctness above speed after all.

Which reminds me, I should probably finish that COLLATE patch. Then you
could choose between:

'putty' = 'putyty' COLLATE C (false)
'putty' = 'putyty' COLLATE 'hu_HU' (true)

Have a nice day,