Re: is this a bug or I am blind?

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Mage <mage(at)mage(dot)hu>, pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: is this a bug or I am blind?
Date: 2005-12-16 18:09:27
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 06:54:15PM +0100, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> That's true, in the sense that unconverted strings are not hashable.
> This is what strxfrm was created for, to return the sorting key for a
> string. A quick C program demonstrates that indeed in that locale these
> two strings are equal, whereas in en_AU they are not.

FWIW, here's some links to Microsoft and MySQL dealing with the same
issue, so we're not alone here. Hungarian seems to be a complex
language to sort, but it seems that glibc is right in this case.

http://blogs.msdn.com/michkap/archive/2005/11/13/491646.aspx
http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=12519

Have a nice day,