Re: Switchover : WAL archiving and shutdown...

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Philippe Ferreira <phil(dot)f(at)worldonline(dot)fr>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Switchover : WAL archiving and shutdown...
Date: 2005-12-01 20:17:43
Lists: pgsql-general

* Philippe Ferreira (phil(dot)f(at)worldonline(dot)fr) wrote:
> But, I'm wondering what could be the behaviour of Postgresql if you
> shutdown the
> service while a new WAL archive is just ready to be copied, or if the
> transfer is in
> progress...
> Will the tranfer be canceled (until the next start), or will Postgresql
> wait for the end
> of the transfer before exiting ?

I'd expect the transfer to continue because it's a seperate spawned
program... I don't think it'd get a signal or be killed when the parent
shuts down but I'm not entirely sure.

> In other words, when I want to switchover, is it sufficient to stop
> postgresql,
> and rsync the last partial WAL (the last modified one), or do I have to
> check if
> every WAL file is in sync before starting the other server ??

I think you need to rsync across all of the WALs which aren't yet
archived. That could be more than 1... That's my understanding anyway.

Thanks,

Stephen