Re: Annoying problem with UseDeclareFetch

From: Ludek Finstrle <luf(at)pzkagis(dot)cz>
To: Thomas Chabaud <tc(at)geosys(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Annoying problem with UseDeclareFetch
Date: 2005-12-01 20:09:31
Lists: pgsql-odbc

> I'm using VB 6.0 with postgreSQL v8.0 and ODBC Driver v8.1.1.
> I have set the driver's option UseDeclareFetch to true in order to avoid
> recordset paging problem, but with this option enabled, rs.RecordCount
> is always equal to -1.

Yes. It do it this way.

> Is it normal ?

It made older versions too becouse driver (with UseDeclareFetch turned
on) change SELECT .. to DECLARE CURSOR FOR SELECT ...
This SQL command return ok (no recordcount). Then is called fetch
which get max "cache size" (in Data Source options) rows and
backend return fetched count.
It's need whole rewrite of psqlodbc to solve this problem.

> Is there a way to solve this, because my application makes a lot of
> calls to rs.recordcount ? Another driver option ? Driver version ?

Unfortunatelly this depends only on UseDeclareFetch option.

New driver has problem with rowcount but I'll send patch for the problem
in few minutes. This patch doesn't solve your problem as I describe above.

Regards,

Luf