Re: fsm allocation

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: fsm allocation
Date: 2005-11-18 21:11:59
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Thu, Nov 17, 2005 at 08:20:12AM -0500, Colton A Smith wrote:
> By the way, what exactly is the 'free map space' anyway? And why does
> it need so much space?

There's a useful description in the docs, section 17.4.2 (for 8.1).
I'd look at that.

Your usage might not be stable right now because your FSM was wrong
to begin with. My bet is that you need to do either a VACUUM FULL or
a dump and reload before twiddling these settings much more. You
also maybe want either autovacuum, or to increase the frequency of
your vacuums. Given the database size you discussed, I can't believe
you really need that much space.

In the future this spectacle of the middle classes shocking the avant-
garde will probably become the textbook definition of Postmodernism.
--Brad Holland