Re: fsm allocation

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Colton A Smith <smith(at)cs(dot)utk(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: fsm allocation
Date: 2005-11-18 23:59:25
Lists: pgsql-admin

Colton A Smith <smith(at)cs(dot)utk(dot)edu> writes:
> Recently, I vacuumed and the output told me I had 47 relations, 151751
> pages stored, and that I needed 237680 total pages. My fsm allocation
> was for 1000 relations, 150000 pages.
> I took this to mean the vacuum didn't work and that I needed to allocate
> more pages. So I edited the conf file to allocate 300000 pages. After
> altering SHMMAX on my system, I was able to restart the database.
> I tried vacuuming again. This time, the output said I had 47
> relations, 301906 pages and that I now needed 333104 total pages.
> I'm confused. Does this mean I need to bump up my fsm allocation again?

I seem to recall that the FSM's threshold for how much free space is
worth remembering does vary with the number of slots it's got available,
so this increase isn't too surprising.

Without knowing anything about the total size of your database, it's
difficult to say whether these numbers are out of line or not.