[boonloo@gmail.com: DB Seminar, 11/4, 380 Soda, 1:10pm-2:30pm]

From: elein <elein(at)varlena(dot)com>
To: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: [boonloo@gmail.com: DB Seminar, 11/4, 380 Soda, 1:10pm-2:30pm]
Date: 2005-11-01 18:43:12
Lists: sfpug

----- Forwarded message from Boon Thau Loo <boonloo(at)gmail(dot)com> -----

From: Boon Thau Loo <boonloo(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: dblunch(at)triplerock(dot)CS(dot)Berkeley(dot)EDU
Subject: DB Seminar, 11/4, 380 Soda, 1:10pm-2:30pm

Title: Programmability, Data Modeling, and Extensibility in Microsoft SQL
Server
Speaker: José A. Blakeley (Microsoft)
Venue: 380 Soda
Time: 11/4, 1:10pm-2:30pm

Abstract:
The SQL Server 2005 DBMS is broadening the set of programming languages that
can be used by application developers to write business logic in the form of
functions, procedures, triggers, and types. A key component of this work is
hosting the .NET Common Language Runtime inside the SQL Server process. I will
present an overview of the .NET CLR hosting architecture and its impact on
performance, scalability, security, and robustness of the server. I will also
present various programmability, data modeling, and extensibility features
enabled by the .NET CLR hosting used by some significant applications. I will
conclude with a discussion on various research challenges related to the
convergence of file systems and databases and databases and programming
languages.

Bio:
José Blakeley is a Software Architect in the SQL Server Division at Microsoft
Corporation. He is the chief designer of the integration of the .Net CLR in the
SQL Server 2005 product . He is currently chief architect of the data
programmability group in SQL Server and WinFS. Previously, José was the
architect of the OLE DB data access interfaces , and has contributed to
numerous programmability and extensibility features in the SQL Server 7.0 and
2000 products. Before joining Microsoft in 1994, José was a Member of the
Technical Staff at the Computer Science Laboratory at Texas Instruments where
he was a co-principal investigator in the development of DARPA Open-OODB, an
object-oriented database system. José received a computer systems engineering
degree from ITESM, Monterrey, Mexico, and M.Math and Ph.D. degrees in computer
science from the University of Waterloo, Canada.

----- End forwarded message -----